April 19 – Get to see some of the new animal babies at the zoo and learn how their moms or zoo staff takes care of them in this edition of Saturday Safaris at the Gladys Porter Zoo. For “Zoo Babies,” a zoo tour, snacks materials and supplies are included in each class. Safaris begin at 10 a.m. and end at 12 p.m. Fee is $15 per child, ages 4 and up, or adult; zoo members get a $5 discount. To register, call 548- 9453, or download a registration form at www.gpz.org. Registration is required.
April 19-20 – The public is invited to “hop” on over to the Gladys Porter Zoo’s annual Easter event. On Saturday and Sunday, special activities are planned just for kids from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Activities include egg decorating, face painting, making bunny masks and more. The Bunny Corral will be open across from Small World where bunnies will be available to pet and docents will be on hand to answer questions. On Easter Sunday, the first 70 children to visit the zoo get a free foam bunny mask. All activities are free to visitors with paid regular admission. For more information, call 546-7187.
April 26 – An archery shoot will be hosted by the Mission Skeet & Trap Club at 10 a.m. at the club's facilities on Conway Ave., 1/4-mile south of the Expressway 83. The fee is $5 for adult members, $10 for adult non-member, and $5 children under age 13. The range is unmarked yardages and archers shoot one arrow at each of 10 targets. The archers will make the round twice to make it a 20-target archery shoot. For more information, call 424-6528 or 583-5996 or go to missionskeetandtrap.com.
May 1 – The annual Mission Mayor’s Prayer Luncheon, hosted on the National Day of Prayer, will feature Texas Lt. Governor David Dewhurst as the keynote speaker. Early seating begins at 11:30 a.m. The program begins promptly at 11:50 a.m. The luncheon will be held at The Club at Cimarron, 1200 S. Shary Rd. Tickets are $15 per person and $250 for reserved tables of 10. Tickets are available at the Mission City Hall or the Greater Mission Chamber of Commerce. Call 585-8650 for further information.
May 3 – The 2014 March for Babies begins at 8 a.m. at McAllen Municipal Park. To sign up and raise funds for the event, which benefits the March of Dimes, go to marchforbabies.org or call 800-580-3526.
May 3 – The Second Annual Weslaco 5K and Kids 1K Fun Run will take place at Weslaco’s Industrial Park. The route begins at South Texas Vo-Tech at 8 a.m. Entry fees are $10 for the Kid’s Fun Run and $20 for the 5K through Friday, April 25, at 12 p.m. After that, up to race day, it is $25. T-shirts are guaranteed to the first 300 to sign up. Visit Weslaco.com to register.
- TOPS #415 (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), 3 p.m. weigh-in, Mission Historical Museum, 900 Doherty. For info: Shirley Earp, 254-258-2380.
- Crossroads Al-Anon, 8 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 1101 Doherty. For info: Lydia, 330-6559.
- AARP Driver Safety Classes, 12:30 p.m., Salvation Army, 1600 N. 23rd, McAllen. AARP members, $12; non-members, $14. Checks or money orders only. Class size limited to 15. For info: 682-1468.
- Mission Lions Club, 12 p.m., Danny’s Mexican Restaurant, 122 W. Tom Landry. Meals are $8. Fellow Lions welcomed.
- Upper Valley Art League open painting for members, any medium, 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., 921 E. 12th St., Mission. Annual dues, $30. Info or to join: 583-2787.
- Helping Other Patients Emotionally (H.O.P.E.), cancer patient support group, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., McAllen Library at Nolana and 23rd, Conference Room B; Marsha Nelson, Ph.D., facilitator. Info: 624-3840.
- Mission Rotary Club, 12 p.m., Club at Cimarron, 1200 S. Shary Rd. Salad bar buffet, $10; Mexican food buffet, $15. All Rotarians and interested persons welcomed.
- “Family Fun Night,” $1 admission to IMAS, 4 to 8 p.m., Bicentenntial Way and Nolana Ave., McAllen. Info: 682-0123.
- Upper Valley Art League, open clay/pottery group (coil method), 9 a.m. to noon, 921 E. 12th Street, Mission. Participants furnish their own clay or contribute toward purchase. No instructor, no fee. UVAL membership required/$30 annually. Info: 583-2787.
The Progress Times is the hometown newspaper for the local communities of Mission, Sharyland, Alton, Palmview, La Joya and surrounding areas in Western Hidalgo County. We have a staff of veteran reporters who work diligently every week to bring our readers the latest news as it affects their hometown area and people.