- The City of Mission will hold its annual Mission Christmas Tree Lighting at Leo Pena Placita in downtown Mission at 6 p.m. Entertainment includes the Juan Diego Academy Liturgical Ensemble directed by Bob Schmidt, the arrival of Santa Claus, Young at Heart directed by Genie Rodriguez, Alegro Music Institute under the direction of David Escobar, Club de Amigos Artistico Infantil directed by Arturo Gutierrez and Laura Marie Dance Academy under the direction of Laura Romero will end the evening’s festivities.
December 6-7, 12-14
- For two weekends in December, the curtain will go up on the Veterans Memorial High School (VMHS) Harlequins Drama Club production of “Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.” Performances of the musical thriller will take place at the VMHS Theater, located at 700 E. Two Mile Road. Advanced tickets will be sold Monday throughThursday at 4:30 p.m. at the theater or during traditional office hours at the VMHS front office. All performances will begin at 7 p.m. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. Student tickets will cost $5. Adult tickets will cost $10.
- The Magic Valley Chorus of Sweet Adelines International helps to get the holiday spirit rolling along as they celebrate Christmas at the Tower Theatre in Weslaco. Hear a variety of non-Christmas songs, traditional Christmas carols, and some not so traditional, all sung in four-part harmony, barbershop style by the chorus and quartets. Then it’s the crowd’s chance to sing along. There are three performances: Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 3 p.m. Tickets are $5 per person. For reservations, call 969-2368.
- The Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville presents their annual “Zoo Nights and Lights” from 6 to 9 p.m. each night. The display includes over 135 lighted animal and holiday fixtures, 800 luminaria bags along pathways and entertainment by local church and school choirs and an arts and craft show. Hot chocolate and churros will be available. Admission is $2.50 or an unwrapped toy to be donated to Toys for Tots. The annual Holiday Village in Dean Porter Park across from the zoo is open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- McAllen’s 31st Annual Candlelight Posada will open at noon in Archer Park where booths food, crafts and games have been set up to provide entertainment for the entire family. The traditional Posada followed by the illuminated Christmas parade will take place in downtown McAllen starting at 6 p.m.
- The American Military Support’s “Music from Home for the Holidays” concert will be held at Marine Military Academy Yeckel Hall in Harlingen at 3 and 7 p.m. with Vance Greek and special guest Mike Johnson, champion guitar picker. Tickets are $10 pre-sale and $12 at the door, available at the RGV Hispanic Chamber, 3313 N. McColl and the Green Beret, 2213 N. 10th, McAllen, or at www.americanmilitarysupport.com. For information, call 425-1549.
- The Museum of South Texas History, 200 N. Closner Blvd., Edinburg, presents the family-friendly holiday tradition “La Pastorela” (A Shepherds’ Play) from 1 to 5 p.m. Included in the regular museum admission, the festival includes performances, children’s activities, traditional Mexican foods and beverages, vendors and a visit from Cowboy Santa. The “La Pastorela” play begins at 2:30 p.m. Admission is $7 for adults; $5 for seniors with ID (ages 62 and up) students with ID (ages 13 and up); $4 for children ages 4 to 12; and free for children ages 3 and under. For more information, call 383-6911.
- The La Joya ISD will present a Christmas Orchestra Concert at 7 p.m. at the La Joya Performing Arts Center, 604 Coyote Blvd. Admission is $6.
December 12 & 19
- Jammin’ on Jackson Street with Vance Greek & Friends takes place inside The Railroad Crossing at 101 E. Jackson in Downtown Harlingen. The jam sessions are free and open to the public. Two 45-minute sessions are planned each Thursday, beginning at 10:30 a.m. and 1p.m. The music is mostly country, folk, bluegrass and gospel, with a little more in the mix. Participating musicians should arrive with their instruments 30 minutes before each session begins. For more information, call 216-4910.
- The Town Band Association presents the McAllen Symphonic Band with David Isadore, conductor, in a Christmas concert, “Tis the Season.” It begins a 7:30 p.m. at the Trinity Worship Center, 4801 N. Cage in Pharr (Expressway 83 and Nolana). Tickets are $5 per person and available at the door the evening of the concert of at the McAllen Community Centers. Visit www.mcallentownband.org for more information.
- Tish Hinojosa will perform an evening of Christmas songs from her album, “From Texas for a Christmas Night.” The concert in the park will be held Thursday evening, December 19, at 6 p.m. at Quinta Mazatlan World Birding Center, 600 Sunset in McAllen. The public is encouraged to dress for the weather for the outdoor concert. Hot chocolate and cookies will be served. Tickets are $10 per person. For more information, call 681-3370 or visit www.quintamazatlan.com.
The Progress Times is the hometown newspaper for the local communities of Mission, Sharyland, Alton, Palmview, La Joya and surrounding areas in Western Hidalgo County. We have a staff of veteran reporters who work diligently every week to bring our readers the latest news as it affects their hometown area and people.