- Category: Local News
- Written by Mark Reagan
Early voting in the 2012 primary runoff elections began Monday and ends today, July 27. Election day will be Tuesday, July 31.
The big runoff races are for U. S. Senator, as both Republican and Democratic candidates seek to fill the vacancy left by U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison. On the Republican ticket Ted Cruz faces Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst. The Democratic run-off is between Grady Yarborough and Paul Sadler. The winners from each respective party’s runoff will face each other in the November election.
Another important runoff in the Republican Party is between Eddie Zamora and Dale A. Brueggeman, who seek to be the party’s candidate to take on Democrat Congressman Ruben Hinojosa, District 15, in November.
In another runoff race, Edinburg attorney Kelly Rivera Salazar and La Joya health care administrator John Peña are facing off to lead the Hidalgo County Democratic Party.
During early voting people may vote at any polling place in their county of residence, choosing a time and place that is most convenient for their schedule. Voters who participated in the May 29 primary elections must vote in the same party’s run-off election in which they voted in May. Voters who did not cast a ballot in the primary elections may vote in either party’s run-off election.
(ends July 27)
Following are the Mission area polling locations for early voting.
- Alton: City Hall, 509 S. Alton Blvd.
- La Joya: City Hall, 101 N. Leo Ave.
- Mission: City Hall 1201 E. 8th St.
- Mission: Fire Station #3, 1804 N. Shary Rd.
- Palmhurst: Church of Christ, 1410 E. 3 Mile Rd.
- Palmview: County Commission Pct. 3, 724 N. Breyfogle Rd.
- Sullivan City: Sullivan Fire Station, 500 Cenizo
Polling hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Following are the candidates for the primary runoff election races:
- United States Senator: Grady Yarborough vs. Paul Sadler;
- Member, State Board of Education, District 2, Ruben Cortez, Jr. vs. Celeste Zepeda-Sanchez;
- Judge, County Court at Law, No. 7, Nereyda Morales-Martinez vs. Sergio Valdez;
- County Chairman, John Peña vs. Kelly Rivera Salazar;
- United States Senator, Ted Cruz vs. David Dewhurst;
- United States Representative District 15, Eddie Zamora vs. Dale A Brueggemann;
- Railroad Commissioner, Warren Chisum vs. Christi Craddick;
- Railroad Commissioner, Unexpired Term, Barry Smitherman vs. Greg Parker;
- Justice, Supreme Court, Place 4, John Devine vs. David Medina;
As of July 24, a few more than 7,000 people have voted with 6,265 Democrats and 739 Republicans casting votes, according to unofficial returns for the Hidalgo County Elections Department.
Additionally, photo identification, as required in Senate Bill 14, will not be necessary for early voting or on election day. To cast a ballot during early voting or on election day, voters should present their voter registration card or in lieu of a voter registration card, at least one of the following:
- A driver’s license or personal identification card issued to you by the Texas Department of Public Safety or a similar document issued to you by an agency of another state, even if the license or card has expired;
- A form of identification containing your photograph and establishing your identity;
- A birth certificate or other document confirming birth that is admissible in a court of law and establishes the person’s identity;
- Your United States citizenship papers;
- Your United States passport;
- Official mail addressed to you by a governmental entity; or
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and address.
Republican and Democrat Primary Election • July 31, 2012
Election Day Polling Locations • Hidalgo County, Texas
Polls open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
|88, 205, 211, 212 & 247||Alton||City Hall||509 S. Alton Blvd.|
|11, 196, 197, 198 & 257||La Joya||City Hall||101 N. Leo Ave.|
|64, 99, 183, 217, 219 & 254||La Joya||Kika De La Garza School||5441 N. La Homa Road|
|9, 218, 220, 243 & 248||Mission||Veterans Memorial High School||700 E. 2 Mile Road|
|103||Mission||Kika De La Garza Building||921 E. 12th St.|
|10, 63, & 102||Mission||Mission City Hall||1201 E. 8th St.|
|75, 89, 125, 131, 132, 133, 165, 182, 209, 241, 244 & 256||Mission||Salinas Elementary School||6 3/4 Miles North Conway|
|93, 94, 128 & 204||Mission||Mission Fire Department||415 W. Tom Landry|
|28 & 98||Mission||O'Grady Elementary School||810 W. Griffin Parkway|
|86, 101 & 236||Palmhurst||Church of Christ||1410 E. 3 Mile Rd.|
|29, 100, 185, 187 & 208||Palmview||Palmview City Hall||400 W. Veterans Blvd.|
|78, 186 & 210||Palmview||Co. Comm. Pct. 3 Office||724 Breyfogle Road|
|50, 145, 170, 194 & 195||Peñitas||JFK Elementary in La Joya ISD||1801 Diamond Avenue|
|38, 188, 203 & 215||Sharyland||Mission Fire Station #3||1804 N. Shary Rd.|
|83||Sharyland||John S. Shary Elementary||2300 N. Glasscock|
|51 & 80||Sullivan||Fire Station||500 Cenizo Drive|
blog comments powered by Disqus