PALMHURST—The City of Palmhurst discussed the widening of Taylor Road as part of a construction project spearheaded by the City of Mission. Palmhurst City Manager Lori A. Lopez explained the city had received a letter from Mission Mayor Norberto "Beto" Salinas on Tuesday.
"The letter is on the widening of Taylor Road, and it is for the City of Mission, City of Palmhurst, City of Alton and the County (Hidalgo)," Lopez said.
Mayor Ramiro J. Rodriguez Jr. read from the letter, which proposed a transportation corridor partnership between the cities of Mission, McAllen and the County of Hidalgo. The letter served as a request of support from each area that would be affected.
Salinas added in the letter once all entities have agreed to their equally proportional shares...the City of Mission would like to take the project lead and begin construction. The City of Mission plans to begin the project before the year ends.
Lopez explained the project would begin on Taylor Road, from U.S. Business 83 and run north to just shy of 4 Mile Road. Rodriguez asked how much their portion would be to contribute to the project.
"They (Mission) are is still in a preliminary phase, but if it's anything like Shary Road, which they plan to expand as well, that's running around $225,000," Lopez said.
"It's just an update that Mayor Norberto Salinas is giving us. Keep in mind Taylor Road will be expanded almost simultaneously with Shary Road. So we will have two projects going on in Palmhurst."
Planning & Development Projects
City Planner Lupe Garcia said a contract has been entered with Javier Hinojosa Engineering to begin the engineering process for Phase 1 of a sidewalk project to run from the H-E-B site on Conway Avenue to Stewart Road.
The council approved the project at the May city council meeting; Garcia added Phase 1 would begin at the H-E-B site and end on Bryan Road. He said the plans would take 30 to 40 days to create, and work would start in September.
The H-E-B project is still going as planned; he added the project is estimated to be complete by November for the Thanksgiving holiday. Garcia said walls and steel had already been erected at the site.
Palmhurst Chief of Police Michael A. Vela discussed the COPS Hiring Grant the department applied for.
"If you have less than 20 officers in the police department, you can only apply for one position," Vela said. "The grant would cover up to 75 percent for that position for the first three years, or $225,000. The city is responsible for the rest of the 25 percent."
Vela added that after three years, once the funding is over, the city would have to take over the funding of that position. He added they would be notified by or before September 30 of this year if the grant would be awarded to the city.
At the May council meeting, Regional Interoperability Console equipment was approved for purchase for communication purposes between law enforcement in different cities, as well as hospitals and ambulance services.
Vela brought for approval the interlocal agreement between the City of Palmhurst and the Rio Grande Valley Communications Group regarding air-time service and support for portable radio units.
The board approved the agreement and Vela said the target date for implementation of the radios is July 1, 2013.blog comments powered by Disqus