MISSION—City Manager Martin Garza told the Mission Redevelopment Authority Board on Tuesday that constant meetings with business owners are in order with the planned Conway Streetscape Project. He added the city plans to handle construction of the project block-by-block.
“We want to be able to meet to let them know we are there and able address every issue,” Garza said. “As we do one block, we will move to the next block and have a pre-determination meeting on what the business owners should expect on traffic, the amount of time we are going to spend on the east and west side of the roadway and when we anticipate to move on to the next block.”
The City Council awarded the project contract to Highmark Construction last week. Highmark placed the lowest bid at almost $1.9 million.
According to MRA Executive Director Ricardo A. Perez, planning of the project has been ongoing for the last 18 months. He added the project has grown from a $1 million project to a $2.5 million over that time.
“We have agreed to reimburse the city, which was amended in October (2013) to add $69,000,” Perez said. “So now it is at $1,069,000.”
A purchase of 100 light poles from AEP have not been added to the budget, which Perez said would still keep the project under its complete budget of $2.5 million.
Garza added existing lights would be moved from Conway Avenue to the park that will receive improvements on First Street and replaced by the decorative lighting from AEP.
Federal funding for the Conway Streetscape Project only will cover the addition of a splash pad at the park as well as a welcome sign. Any added construction changes to the park would be handled by non-federal funds.
The board also received a presentation from Juan Sustaita with the Texas Department of Transportation; he said the Bryan Road construction at the intersection of U.S. Highway 83/Interstate 2 and FM 396 was at 96 percent completion.
The cost of the project totaled to $23,453,821, and the MRA handled $500,000 for landscaping. Completion time is predicted to be in February 2014. The bridge is accommodating three lanes, turning lanes both north- and southbound and turn-arounds from east to west/west to east.
In other news, a new member was sworn into the MRA Board; Alonzo “Al” Beltran has now replaced Hector Leal on the board.blog comments powered by Disqus