MISSION - Percy Horace "P.H." King, passed away on Wednesday, July 11.
Mr. King was born on December 25, 1913 in Baird. After graduation from Baird High School in 1930, he worked in the family restaurant and joined the Baird Volunteer Fire Department. In 1943 he helped start the fire department at Camp Berkley in Abilene. That same year, he went to work for Lockheed Corporation at Love Field in Dallas as a fireman. In 1947 he went to work for the United States Air Force. He was a civilian personnel assistant and served as fireman in San Angelo and Laredo. In 1953 he was transferred to Moore Airfield in Mission. In 1954 he was appointed as fire marshall at Moore Airfield which had become a civilian flight training center operated by California Eastern Corporation.
In 1960, King was appointed by Mission Mayor Calvin Gibson as a building inspector/building official. He earned multiple certifications and obtained electrical and plumbing inspectors' licenses. In 1959, King helped in the formation of the Valley Building Officials Association. He served in many leadership positions through the years and remained as the chaplin of the organization to his passing. The P.H. King Lifetime Achievement Award was created in his honor. In 1976, King went to work for the City of McAllen where he was the chief plumbing inspector until his retirement in 1982.
Mr. King served in the Mission chapter of the American Association of Retired Persons in various leadership positions, including as the Assistant State Coordinator and taught the driver safety course for many years.
He continued to be active in the fire prevention industry attending the Texas A&M fire officials school for 43 years—26 as an instructor.
Mr. King is survived by his wife, Elvia; her children, Rosie, Teresa, Luis and Cesar; Euvora's daughter, Shelagh; and two step-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his daughter, Mildred Griffith; first wife, Lillie; second wife, Helen; and third wife, Euvora.
In lieu of flowers, the family requested that memorial donations be made to the Carpio Family who suffered a house fire.