Sign up for our Newsletter today
and keep up-to-date with all your local news!


Francis "Frank" Xavier Wallace Jr. of Mission and Altamont, N.Y. died Friday, Sept. 21, 2012, at Kingsway Arms in Schenectady, N.Y. He was born October 10, 1921 in Schenectady, the son of the late Francis X. Wallace Sr. and Katherine Wallace Wood.

Raised in Schenectady, he graduated from Nott Terrace High School and went on to attend Clemson A & M College. He began the G.E. Test Program while a student-cadet during summer leaves. Upon graduation from Clemson with a degree in mechanical engineering, he continued in the Test Program for several months until called to active duty in the U. S. Army. He served with the 101st Airborne Division, participating in the D-Day invasion and Battle of the Bulge, with side engagements to invade the South of France, Italy and the occupation of Germany. After the surrender of Germany, his unit returned to the U.S. to prepare for the invasion of Japan, which they did not have to engage in after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Upon his return to civilian life, he completed the G.E. Test Program and joined G.E.'s Turbine Electric Division in Schenectady. While employed by G.E., he attended Albany Law School on the G.I. Bill, graduating in September of 1949 as valedictorian of his class. He began his law career with the firm of Early & Kalteux in Schenectady but, in two years he was hired by Spencer & Iserman, a New York City law firm to serve as counsel to Webb & Knapp.

In 1954, Mr. Wallace moved his family to Denver, Colo. to open a Webb & Knapp office and, as its vice president and counsel, he was responsible for the financing, construction and leasing of the Mile High Center and Court House Square projects. In 1960, he left Webb & Knapp to become litigation partner in the firm of McNichols, Wallace, Nigro & Johnson which evolved into a succession of law firms in which he was senior litigation partner.

While in Colorado, he became very involved in the Colorado Easter Seal Society and was president for a number of years.

In 1970, he moved back to New York to become a law professor at Albany Law School. During that time, he worked for the newly-formed New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation as its first general counsel. He later served as consultant and outside trial counsel for the New York State Power Authority.

After his retirement from Albany Law School in January of 1987 and his move to New Bern, N.C., he returned to Albany each Fall semester through 1989 to teach civil procedure and negotiation. He spent his time traveling in an RV, eventually settling in Mission with a summer home near Altamont, N.Y.

Survivors include his wife, Joyce Pulliam Wallace; children, Francis X. Wallace III of Denver, Charles M. Wallace of Marion, Ind. and Elizabeth Worstell of Denver; and stepsons, Ian T. Richards of Delmar, N.Y. and Rhys M. Burmann of Seal Beach, Calif.; and 13 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his brother, William Marlette Wallace, and first wife, Mary Leonard Wallace.

The family plans no visitation or funeral but a gathering of his family, friends, former students and colleagues to celebrate his life at the Albany Law School on Saturday, Oct. 6, at 2 p.m.

Please complete all fields.

By subscribing you acknowledge notification of this site’s privacy policies, terms and conditions, and drawing rules, and agree to all privacy policies, terms and conditions, and drawing rules posted on this site. Please see our drawing rules here.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required