Skip to content

Huskies upset Lobos in game postponed by tragedy

In a touching moment of honoring their fallen teammate, the Palmview Lobos named Mario Vega an honorary captain for Saturday night’s game. Vega passed away Thursday evening.

One-by-one, each and every Palmview player shared their condolences with the grieving family who were gathered on the field prior to the kickoff.

20151024 Football JLHS vs PHS WEB lg 02The game was originally scheduled to be played Friday night but was postponed to give Lobos’ players, coaches and fans time to mourn. His No. 48 jersey was carried to the center of the field for the pregame coin flip by his fellow team captains.

“My team is still in shock. Mario was a very exciting young man. He brought excitement to the field,” Palmview coach Margarito “Mage” Requenez said of Vega. “He was a special teams player and he was one of those players that was always jumping around excited, talking to everybody and waiting for a chance to play. He’s really missed.”

The Lobos lost to Juarez-Lincoln 21-15 Saturday.

While the rain that fell across the Valley all day Saturday kept the fans in attendance to a minimum, not a drop fell during the game.

As for the action on the field, the Lobos jumped out to a 7-0 lead with 14 seconds left in the first quarter when fullback Misal Guerra ran the ball in from the 2-yard line. The Huskies tied the game at 7-all with 9:08 remaining in the second quarter when Obed Fernandez ran the ball in from the 1-yard line.

The Huskies jumped out to a 14-7 lead on their first possession of the third quarter when on a third-and-21 from the Lobos’ 32-yard line, running back Carlos Gonzalez scored on a catch-and-pitch play. Then with 1:42 remaining in the third quarter, Juarez-Lincoln increased their lead to 21-7 when C.J. Flores caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Fernandez.

The Lobos pulled to within six points when they scored their second touchdown on a 4-yard pass from Andrew Puente to Damian Quintanilla and then converted the 2-point conversion successfully with 3:08 remaining in the game.

While the Lobos did get the ball back one more time, it was on their own 2-yard line with only 46 seconds left on the clock and with no time-outs left. It was too little too late for the Lobos who failed to score and dropped to 2-2 in District 30-6A play (4-4 overall) with the loss while the Huskies improved to 1-3 (2-6 overall) and kept their playoff hopes alive with the win.

Leave a Comment