December 6-8, 12
- A Tejano Christmas Carol plays at the Pharr Community Theater, (PCT) at 213 W. Newcombe Ave. in Pharr. It plays Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. A final show will be held on Thursday, Dec. 12, at 7:30 p.m. at the larger venue at the Pharr Events Center, 3000 N. Cage Blvd. Tickets are $5 for students, seniors and military or $8 general admission. Seating at PCT is limited to 55 persons per show and tickets will be sold at the door starting one hour before curtain, upon availability. To reserve advance tickets, text or call 956-239-0412 or 956-655-9308.
December 6-8, 13-15, 20-21
- The iTheater production of “Playing Doctor” and will be staged at Weslaco’s historic Tower Theater, 120 S. Kansas. Performances will be held Dec. 6 to 8, 13 to 15, and 20 to 21. Show times are 7 p.m. on Fridays, 3 and 7 p.m. on Saturdays, and 3 p.m. on Sundays. Tickets are only available online at iloveit.live. Reserved seating is $15.50 and $10.50 for general admission. VIP tickets are $20.50.
- McAllen I.S.D.’s Memorial High School is excited to present the musical Frozen, Jr. for its 31st annual musical production. Performances will be at the William Hetrick Auditorium at Memorial High School, 101 E. Hackberry Ave., on Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 8 and 9 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at frozeninmcallen.eventbrite.com. Call 632-5258 for reservations.
- Tickets are now on sale for the 10th Annual KTEX Ten Man Jam benefiting the Food Bank RGV. It will be held at the RGV Livestock Show Grounds, Mercedes, with 10 rising country music stars performing. Food and beverages will be sold at the venue. Parking opens at noon, gates at 1 p.m., and music starts at 2 p.m. and ends at midnight. Pre-sale tickets are $10 and go up on the day of the show; parking is not included. There are no ticket refunds. Tickets are available online at ktex.net or tenmanjam2019.eventbrite.com, and at the Food Bank RGV, 724 N. Cage Blvd. in Pharr.
- An Evening of Flute, part of the UTRGV Patron of the Arts Student Ensemble Series, begins at 7 p.m. in the UTRGV campus Multipurpose Hall in Brownsville. Join the UTRGV Flute Studio for an evening of flute solos, chamber works, and a performance by the UTRGV Flautistas Flute Ensemble under the direction of UTRGV Flute Professor Dr. Krista Jobson. Admission is free. For special accommodations, call 956-882-7025.
- The Edinburg Dance Theatre presents their production of “The Nutcracker” ballet at 7 p.m. on Saturday and 1:30 p.m. on Sunday. The performances will be held at the La Joya Performing Arts Center, Coyote Dr. in La Joya. All seats are $15. Call 956-383-2623 for tickets or stop by Dancentre of Edinburg, 2750 Hedfelt, Edinburg.
December 9, 10 & 12
- The Upper Valley Art League will host “Introduction to Welding Workshop for Art Sculptures.” Workshop hours run from 5 to 8:30 p.m. all three days and will be held at UVAL, 921 E. 12th St., Mission.
The class includes safety equipment and materials and will be taught by G. Hernandez, a certified welding instructor. Cost is $225 for UVAL members and $250 to the general public. For more information and to sign up, call the UVAL gallery at 956-583-2787 or Eric Olivarez at 956-240-1949, or make contact via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The iconic band STYX will make its Rio Grande Valley debut at Bert Ogden Arena, 4900 S. I-69C, Edinburg. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the concert begins at 8 p.m. The legendary band will ignite the stage as it draws from over four decades of hits with joyous singalongs and hard-driving deep cuts. Tickets start at $46 per person, and various VIP packages are available. Tickets are available at the Bert Ogden Arena box office, 4900 S. I-69C, Edinburg, or go to bertogdenarea.com.
- The City of Palmhurst celebrates the holidays with their Third Annual Christmas in the Park from 5:30 to 10 p.m. There will be music, food, pictures with Santa and a movie at the park. It will be held at Shary Municipal Park, 4900 N. Shary Rd.
- A Touch of Frost, the annual season celebration of the Valley Symphony Orchestra, features the VSO Chorale, UTRGV’s Ballet Folklorico, and selections from favorites such as Handel’s Messiah and The Nutcracker. It will be held at the McAllen Performing Arts Center, 801 Convention Center Blvd. in McAllen from 8 to 10 p.m. For tickets and information, go to valleyorchestra.org or call 956-661-1615.
- Illumina Fest is an art and music celebration of the Earth’s continents hosted at Quinta Mazatlan World Birding Center, 600 Sunset in McAllen. Guests will travel the quarter mile Luminaria Trail and get a glimpse of how the world celebrates with light across the seven continents. Tickets are $5 per person, and children age 2 and under are admitted free. Advance tickets are available at qm.ticketleap.com/illumina-fest/.
Children who bring their own decorated paper luminaria bag (use a paper lunch bag) will receive a glow band for sharing their gift of light. Adult guests are invited to also create luminaria bags to add to the trail. For information, call 956-686-3370.
- The City of La Joya will host their 14th Annual Winter Wonderland Christmas Parade beginning at 10:30 a.m. The parade route will run down South Leo Avenue. For parade entry information, call La Joya City Hall at 956-581-7002.
- The City of Alton Christmas Parade begins with a parade at 11 a.m. and runs from in front of Cantu Elementary down to City Hall. The celebration continues with the Christmas Festival beginning at 5 a.m. at the Alton Recreation Center. The event offers live, family-friendly entertainment. For parade entry information, call 956-432-0790.
- The next Sunset Live, the Rio Grande Valley’s free outdoor concert runs from 5 to 9 p.m. at the McAllen Convention Center Oval Park, 700 Convention Center Blvd. The concert combines music, outdoor activities, a variety of food trucks, beverages, and local artisans. Admission and parking are free. For information, call 956-681-3800.
January 11-February 8
- The Mission Historical Museum (MHM) 14th Annual Quilt Show will be on display at the museum, 900 Doherty in downtown Mission. An awards reception, with Turning of the Quilts program, will take place at 2 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17. Admission is free. For information, call 956-580-8646.
- The UTRGV Patron of the Arts Distinguished Artists Series spring concerts include a performance on Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020, at 7 p.m. on the Edinburg Campus, by The Low-Frequency Trio. Founded in 2016 by Antonio Rosales (bass clarinet), Juan José García (doublebass), and José Luis Hurtado (piano), its members are active in the international contemporary music scene, and have collaborated with more than 20 young and established composers in the creation and performance of innovative new works for their unique instrumentation. The complete schedule and tickets are available at patron.utrgv.edu.
- Croatian pianist Javor Bračić comes to the Edinburg PAC on Thursday, Feb. 27, at 7 p.m. He was hailed by New York Concert Review for “deep, genuine musicianship and an outstanding technique” in his Carnegie Hall solo debut recital presented by New York Concert Artists. The complete schedule and tickets are available at patron.utrgv.edu.
- Take a musical adventure to the corners of the earth and across the American West in the Valley Symphony Orchestra’s concert Indiana Jones and the Wild West. It will be held at the McAllen Performing Arts Center, 801 Convention Center Blvd. in McAllen from 8 to 10 p.m. For tickets and information, go to valleyorchestra.org or call 956-661-1615.
- On Saturday, March 7, at 7 p.m., American pianist Alex McDonald of Dallas performs at the TSC Performing Arts Center in Brownsville. Since his orchestral debut at age 11, McDonald has performed around the world and has been a featured performer on PBS, WRR (Dallas/Fort Worth), NPR, and WQXR in New York City. The complete schedule and tickets are available at patron.utrgv.edu.
- The Valley Symphony Orchestra’s finale concert of the season, “Designed by Dabrowski,” features special guest UTRGV Mariachi Aztlan. It will be held at the McAllen Performing Arts Center, 801 Convention Center Blvd. in McAllen from 8 to 10 p.m. For tickets and information, go to valleyorchestra.org or call 956-661-1615.
- The final concert of the Patron of the Arts Distinguished Artist Series brings the dynamic cross-genre duo of Sandeep Das on tabla and Mike Block on cello and vocals to the Edinburg PAC. The performance is at 7 p.m. at the UTRGV PAC in Edinburg. The duo has been performing since 2013 and their music features a rhythmic and melodic combination of the tabla (Indian drums used in Hindustani classical music), cello and vocals.