- UTRGV Ballet Folklórico presents Huateque 2020 at 7:30 p.m. at the UTRGV Performing Arts Complex, 1201 W. University Dr. in Edinburg. General admission is $10 and $5 for students and seniors. Tickets will be sold at the door.
- iTheatre will host Improv at the Tower and Improv After Dark in two shows each night at the Tower Theater,120 S. Kansas Ave. in Weslaco. A family-friendly show begins at 7 p.m. followed by a “mature audience only” show at 9 p.m. both nights. Tickets are $10 per person. Tickets are available at iloveit.live.
January 24-February 8
- The Mission Historical Museum (MHM) 14th Annual Quilt Show will be on display at the museum, 900 Doherty in downtown Mission. An awards reception, with Turning of the Quilts program, will take place at 2 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17. Admission is free. For information, call 956-580-8646.
- The UTRGV College of Fine Arts Dance Program will host Spanish dance performances by the UTRGV Ballet Español, at 2 and 7:30 p.m. at the Performing Arts Complex on the Edinburg campus, 1201 W. University Dr. Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for children, seniors and students with I.D. For more information, call 956-665-2230 or utrgv.edu/dance or utrgv.ballet.espanol.
- UTRGV Ballet Español presents “Spanish Nights Flamenco” at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday and 2 and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday in the UTRGV Performing Arts Complex, 1201 W. University Dr. in Edinburg. The performance will showcase the colorful costumes and elegant Spanish dance techniques the students have been taught by faculty dance leader Sonia Chapa. Admission is $8 adults and $5 students/seniors (students must current school ID for discount). Tickets will be available at the box office or by calling 956-665-2230.
- The Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley will host its annual Farm Dinner from 5:30 to 9 p.m. at the Food Bank RGV, 724 N. Cage Blvd. in Pharr. Proceeds support Gem Valley Farm, a community garden at the Food Bank. “A Night in Tuscany” will begin with a cocktail hour on the farm followed by a five-course meal with locally sourced and natural foods. Tickets are $125 each, available at the Food Bank RGV or online at foodbankrgv.com. Seating is limited. For more information on tickets or sponsorships, contact Philip Farias at 956-904-4513 or email@example.com.
- The International Museum of Art & Science, 1900 W. Nolana in McAllen, will host an Educator Open House from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free for all educators, administrators and homeschool parents with valid I.D. Call 956-681-2800 for information.
- The Harlingen Performing Arts Conservatory presents the musical stage production of Beauty and the Beast at the Harlingen C.I.S.D. Performing Arts Center, 3217 W. Wilson Rd. Performances will be held at 10 a.m., Jan. 15; 7 p.m., Jan. 18; and 2:30 p.m., Jan. 19, 25 and 26. Tickets are $10 and $15 and available at hcisdpa.org.
- The UTRGV Patron of the Arts Distinguished Artists Series spring concerts include a performance on Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020, at 7 p.m. on the Edinburg Campus, by The Low-Frequency Trio. Founded in 2016 by Antonio Rosales (bass clarinet), Juan José García (doublebass), and José Luis Hurtado (piano), its members are active in the international contemporary music scene, and have collaborated with more than 20 young and established composers in the creation and performance of innovative new works for their unique instrumentation. The complete schedule and tickets are available at patron.utrgv.edu.
- The Fourth Annual Resaca City Bike Tour takes place around the resacas of San Benito with three events – 20 mile, 40.4 mile, and a 62.2-mile. It starts at Heavin Memorial Park, 705 N. Bowie, and all three begin at 7:30 a.m. Entry fee is $25 until Jan. 31 and $30 after that date, with a no refund policy. Medals will be given to all participants. Only the first 100 registrants receive T-shirts. Register at https://bit.ly/2QdxdtM.
- The McAllen Wind Ensemble’s next concert, “Something Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue,” features some of the band’s favorite music along with a little jazz. The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. and will be held at the McAllen Performing Arts Center (MPAC). Tickets are on sale at the MPAC box office or through ticketmaster.com. Seats start at $10. For information, call 682-227-2101 or go to mcallenwindensemble.org.
- Croatian pianist Javor Bračić comes to the Edinburg PAC on Thursday, Feb. 27, at 7 p.m. He was hailed by New York Concert Review for “deep, genuine musicianship and an outstanding technique” in his Carnegie Hall solo debut recital presented by New York Concert Artists. The complete schedule and tickets are available at patron.utrgv.edu.
- Take a musical adventure to the corners of the earth and across the American West in the Valley Symphony Orchestra’s concert Indiana Jones and the Wild West. It will be held at the McAllen Performing Arts Center, 801 Convention Center Blvd. in McAllen from 8 to 10 p.m. For tickets and information, go to valleyorchestra.org or call 956-661-1615.
- On Saturday, March 7, at 7 p.m., American pianist Alex McDonald of Dallas performs at the TSC Performing Arts Center in Brownsville. Since his orchestral debut at age 11, McDonald has performed around the world and has been a featured performer on PBS, WRR (Dallas/Fort Worth), NPR, and WQXR in New York City. The complete schedule and tickets are available at patron.utrgv.edu.
- The one and only Cher brings her “Here We Go Again Tour” to Bert Ogden Arena, 4900 S. I-69C, Edinburg. Backed by a seven-piece band and ten dancers, she will share the stage with special guests Nile Rodgers & CHIC. Starting at $59.95, tickets are on sale to the general public at LiveNation.com and BertOgdenArena.com. Beware of tickets purchased from third-party sites or ticket brokers which may not be official and may be overpriced.
- The Valley Symphony Orchestra’s finale concert of the season, “Designed by Dabrowski,” features special guest UTRGV Mariachi Aztlan. It will be held at the McAllen Performing Arts Center, 801 Convention Center Blvd. in McAllen from 8 to 10 p.m. For tickets and information, go to valleyorchestra.org or call 956-661-1615.
- The McAllen Wind Ensemble’s final concert of the season, “Viva South Texas!” is a musical fiesta featuring guapangos, cowboy anthems, and toe-tapping music. The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. and will be held at the McAllen Performing Arts Center (MPAC). Tickets are on sale at the MPAC box office or through ticketmaster.com. Seats start at $10. For information, call 682-227-2101 or go to mcallenwindensemble.org.
- Nickelodeon and VStar Entertainment Group present PAW Patrol Live! “Race to the Rescue,” an action-packed, music-filled production. The heroic pups from the top-rated animated preschool series PAW Patrol will visit Bert Ogden Arena, 4900 S. I-60C, Edinburg. Performances are at 2 and 6 p.m. on Saturday and 1 and 4 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets starting at $22 can be purchased at pawpatrollive.com, BertOgdenArena.com and AXS.com. A limited number of premium V.I.P. (Very Important Pup) packages are available starting at $105.
- The final concert of the Patron of the Arts Distinguished Artist Series brings the dynamic cross-genre duo of Sandeep Das on tabla and Mike Block on cello and vocals to the Edinburg PAC. The performance is at 7 p.m. at the UTRGV PAC in Edinburg. The duo has been performing since 2013 and their music features a rhythmic and melodic combination of the tabla (Indian drums used in Hindustani classical music), cello and vocals.