Skip to content

County veterans office offering grants to veterans and spouses

The Hidalgo County Veterans Service office started taking applications for a financial assistance grant to assist veterans and their families.

Through the Broken Arrow Financial Assistance Grant applicants will receive assistance for:

  • Rent/Mortgage Assistance
  • Emergency Vehicle Repairs
  • Adult Care
  • Funeral Expenses
  • Utility Assistance for surviving spouses

The Veterans General Assistance provides funds to organizations serving veterans and their families and is supported by a grant from the Texas Veterans Commission Fund of Veterans’ Assistance, according to a Monday news release from Hidalgo County.

“Guiding and offering help to the veterans in our community is our top priority,” Hidalgo County Veterans Service Officer Felix Rodriguez stated in the news release.  “Through this grant we will assist veterans and their surviving spouses with their various needs.”


In order to be eligible, veterans must reside in Hidalgo County with all discharge types other than Dishonorable. Surviving spouses should provide a marriage certificate, death certificate and discharge paperwork and, according o the release, veterans must provide one of the following to verify U.S. Military Service:

·         DD 214

·         NGA-22 National Guard Separation & Record of Service

·         NA Form 13038, Certificate of Military Service

·         VA Letter with Disability% and Character of service

·         E-benefits summary with Character of Service

·         Honorable Discharge Certificate

To apply, fill out an application and email it to or drop it off at the Veterans Service Office at 10213 N. 10th St. Suite B McAllen 78504.  For more information, call 956-292-7076.


Leave a Comment