Skip to content

Three charged in assault in Madero area

After an assault was mistaken for a shooting in the Madero area, three individuals have been charged for their involvement in the incident.

On Monday, Matthew Deion Veliz, 24, and Dylan Andrew Lopez, 18, were both charged with aggravated assault following a drug deal gone bad that occurred the day before that resulted in an unidentified victim being hospitalized.

From left: Dylan Andrew Lopez, Yamileth Garza and Matthew Deion Veliz during their arraignment for their involvement in a drug deal that resulted in one hospitalization Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2020. Progress Times photo by Jose De Leon III

On Sunday, a Border Patrol agent in the Madero area was flagged down by Yamileth Garza, 25, who had an unconscious male passenger she said had been shot in the mouth.

Police arrived at the 200 block of Bogamilia Street where she told police the shooting had taken place and police arrested Veliz and Lopez.

According to Mission police spokesman Inv. Art Flores, the investigation revealed that the victim wasn’t shot and there was no weapon found in the area. Flores said the victim and Garza were at the home to buy drugs from the suspects.

“During the situation when they beat him up, they struck him several times in the face area and he was found with fractured bones in his eye socket and nose area,” Flores said following a Tuesday arraignment for Veliz and Lopez. “[The victim] had surgeries and is now in stable condition.”

Veliz and Lopez were each given $250,000 bonds and are now each facing an aggravated assault charge punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

They weren’t the only ones who were arraigned that morning.

During the investigation, an officer interrogating Garza at the scene saw she had a bag that turned out to contain 1.2 grams of cocaine hanging from the waistband of her dress, Flores said. She was taken into custody where police found an additional bag containing crystal meth in her wallet.

Garza found herself handcuffed alongside Veliz and Lopez on Tuesday morning where she was charged with two counts of possession, punishable with up to 10 years in prison, and had her bond set at $20,000.

At the arraignment, however, Garza used a relative’s name to sign her documents and swore under oath before Mission Municipal Court Judge Jonathan Wehrmeister that the name she had given was her real name and she had no prior arrests.

Hours after the arraignment, Flores said Mission police found out about her fake identity and that Garza was wanted by McAllen police. She found herself in front of Judge Wehrmeister again on Wednesday and now faces a charge of failure to identify and tampering with a government record. Her bond was increased by $20,000.

All three remain in jail. A fourth individual who was arrested on Sunday was released from prison and isn’t facing any charges, Flores said. 

Leave a Comment