- The Seitz String Duo presents “From Our Family to Yours” with Dr. Diana Seitz, violinist and pianist, and Esther Seitz, cellist, in a program at 7 p.m. The performance can be seen on the UTRGV Patron of the Arts page on YouTube. Music has always been at the center of the Seitz family life and mother and daughter will share their favorite selections of classical music, from Telemann to Kodaly.
October 20, 22 & 30
- “South Texas Reads!” will be presented by the McAllen Public Library and is a region-wide literary event encouraging the Rio Grande Valley community to read and discuss the same book. The event will include two virtual discussion groups on Tuesday, Oct. 20, and Thursday, Oct. 22, and a special free online presentation by the author on Friday, Oct. 30. The featured book is “Your Hidden Superpower: The Kindness that Makes You Unbeatable at Work and Connects You with Anyone” written by Adrienne Bankert. The general public can pick up a free copy of the book and sign a pledge to attend a virtual book discussion and do not need to be McAllen residents. Library cards are not required. Pick up a copy at any McAllen Public Library location, including curbside drive-thru at the Main Library while supplies last. For more information, call 956-681-3000.
- The public is invited to the Drive-in Pesado concert at H-E-B Park beginning at 8:30 p.m. Concert tickets range from $100 to $400 for four passengers per car; extra passengers are $35 each. It will be set up in the parking H-E-B Park parking lot located at 1616 S. Raul Longoria Rd. in Edinburg. Lawwn chairs are allowed to for patrons to sit outside of vehicles. For tickets, go to hebparkrgv.com. For information, phone 956-972-1144.
October 23 & 25
- The first fall concert for the Valley Symphony Orchestra begins at 7 p.m. online and broadcast on television. The concert features the VSO Piano Quintet performing Erno Dohnányi’s piano quintet no. 1 in C minor. The premier can be found live on Facebook at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 23, and on Sunday, Oct. 25, at 11 a.m. with an encore broadcast on KRGV Channel 5. The VSO quintet consists of Geoffrey Wong, VSO concertmaster (violin); Lindsey Gamble. VSO assistant concertmaster (violin); Jennifer Miller (viola); Benjamin Ponder (cello); and Juan Pablo Andrade (piano). For more information, go to valleyorchestra.org or call the VSO office at 956-661-1615.
- A virtual program on “Owl Pellet Dissection” will be featured by the Edinburg World Birding Center at 4 p.m. Kids can learn how owls are adept hunters even in complete darkness, and will investigate what and how owls eat by dissecting an owl pellet. The purchase of an owl pellet kit, for children ages 7 and up, is $3.99 plus tax. The kit can be picked up at the EWBC Fee Booth beginning Oct. 23. Quantities are limited; early reservation is recommended, but is required by Oct. 26. The EWBC is located at 714 S. Raul Longoria Rd. The program will be delivered via Zoom. To register, visit EdinburgWBC.org or call 956-381-9922.
- Celebrate safely this Halloween at H-E-B Park, 1616 N. Raul Longoria Rd. in Edinburg, during the Carnaval de Calaveras: Día de los Muertos Festival. Enjoy an outdoor movie and concert under the stars in a socially distanced setting. Grupo Solido is the featured act for the festival. The event begins with an Indian prayer for the departed at 7 p.m., followed by a showing of the Disney hit movie Coco at 7:15. The evening out will conclude with a live performance by Grupo Solido at 9:40 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m.
Socially distanced tickets in the stands start at just $20 each, with group packages beginning at $15. There will be six feet of distance between groups. Also available are 10×10, four-person pods on the field ranging from $100 to $400 based on proximity to the stage and offering 10 feet of distance between each pod. For tickets, go to hebparkrgv.com. For more information, call 956-972-1144.
- Tickets are on sale for another drive-in concert experience at H-E-B Park, 1616 N. Raul Longoria Rd. in Edinburg, with Banda Los Recoditos. The concert begins at 8:30 p.m. Tickets per car, with four occupants, range from $100 to $300 and $400 for the VIP experience. Additional occupants are $35 per person, with a maximum of six per car. To purchase tickets, go to hebparkrgv.com. For more information, call 956-972-1144.
November 20 & 22
- The next Valley Symphony Orchestra concert, “Melody and Rhythm,” features the VSO woodwinds and percussion. The premier can be found live on Facebook at 7 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 20, and on Sunday, Nov. 22, at 11 a.m. there will be an encore broadcast on KRGV Channel 5. For more information, go to valleyorchestra.org or call the VSO office at 956-661-1615.
December 18 & 20
- The next Valley Symphony Orchestra concert is a variation of the orchestra’s seasonal tribute, “A Touch of Frost.” The virtual performance features the VSO Holiday Brass and Harp. The premier can be found live on Facebook at 7 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 18, and on Sunday, Dec. 20, at 11 a.m. there will be an encore broadcast on KRGV Channel 5. For more information, go to valleyorchestra.org or call the VSO office at 956-661-1615.