- UTRGV Ballet Español presents Spanish Nights premiering at 7 p.m. on the UTRGV Patron of the Arts YouTube channel. The public is invited to enjoy a beautiful flamenco dance concert full of culture, creativity and passion. Spanish Nights is an annual dance production presented by UTRGV Ballet Español, under the direction of Sonia Chapa.
- The City of Alamo presents “Lighting Our Way into 2021,” a holiday caravan. As business and resident owners light up their commercial and residential areas, the public is invited to join in the caravan. Vehicles will begin lining at 5:30 p.m. at the HEB parking lot for the 6:15 p.m. start. It ends at Alamo’s city park for the official tree-lighting ceremony.
- The South Padre Island annual lighted boat parade and firework show will be held on Laguna Madre Bay. The parade begins at 6 p.m., and the fireworks at 8 p.m. Pick a socially-distanced spot for the free event to watch or register as a boat participant by contacting Marisa Amaya via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 956-761-3834. For more info, go to sopadre.com or call 956-761-3000.
December 12 – January 2, 2021
- The Edinburg Chamber of Commerce, City of Edinburg and Edinburg EDC present Holiday in the Park. Edinburg Municipal Park, 714 S. Raul Longoria Rd., will be transformed into a drive-thru wonderland with thousands of twinkling lights on display from 6 to 10 p.m. The free event covers one mile of themed entertainment. For more information, email email@example.com or visit Edinburg.com.
December 11-January 18, 2021
- Visit the Holiday Sandcastle Village & Light Show on South Padre Island to see unique holiday-themed sculptures created by sand artists. The light show is located directly in front of the entrance of the Village. Social distancing is required. The sculptures are on view and open daily from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. near Louie’s Backyard & Gravity Park. The light show runs from 6 to 9 p.m.
- The Hidalgo Festival of Lights, “2020 – Season of Hope,” is a drive-thru experience this year.
Pricing is $21 with only one ticket needed per vehicle. The festival runs from 6 to 11 p.m. each evening and will be staged at Payne Arena, 2600 N. 10th St. in Hidalgo. Go to hidalgofestivaloflights.com to purchase tickets.
- Brownsville’s Holiday Village is coming to everyone’s home this year with their new Virtual Village. The Virtual Village will include 31 cottages from the live village to explore, and the website will also have coloring pages, games and other activities, including finding the elusive Fritter hide in a different cottage each day as the Village is updated throughout the month. Go to www.holidayvillagebrownsville.com to participate.
- For Illumina Fest 2020, the trails of Quinta Mazatlán in McAllen will be lined with thousands of candle luminarias to celebrate the winter holidays around the world. It takes place from 6 to 9:30 p.m. each date. There will be over 30 art installations celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Chinese New Year, A Native American Tipi Village, The Wild West, Nature’s Natural Sculptures, Winter Solstice and Wildlife. There will be holiday music and entertainment along the illuminated trail. The half-mile trail is designed to be touch-free. The public is encouraged to wear comfortable shoes for the 45-minute experience. Tickets must be purchased in advance online at ticketlepa.com for $5 per person with age 2 and under entering free. For more information, call Quinta Mazatlán at 956-681-3370.
December 16, 18 & 20
- The Valley Symphony Orchestra’s annual holiday performance, “A Touch of Frost,” will be a triple treat this year. On Wednesday, Dec. 16, at 7:30 p.m., the live concert will be performed by the VSO Holiday Brass Quintet at the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle – National Shrine. Seating is limited; tickets may be purchased in advance at valleyorchestra.org. This concert will enforce all health and safety protocols and social distance will be maintained at all times. On Dec. 18, the VSO will premiere the online version of A Touch of Frost on Facebook at facebook.com/valleysymphony. The Holiday Brass will be joined by VSO harpist Delaine Leonard. On Sunday, Dec. 20, KRGV Channel 5 will broadcast the digital concert at 11 a.m. For more information, call 956-661-1615.
December 23 – January 3
- The Disney On Ice presentation, “Dream Big,” is coming to Payne Arena in Hidalgo. Dream Big features favorite Disney friends such as Mickey, Minnie, Miguel, Moana, Elsa, Belle, Genie, and more highlighting adventures of Disney’s world of heroes through world-class figure skating. COVID-19 health and safety standards will be followed, and pod seating has been created for family and friends follow social distancing. A face covering is required for those age 2 and older unless otherwise exempt by law. Tickets start at $30 and can be ordered online at ticketmaster.com. Payne Arena is located at 2600 N. 10th Street, Hwy 336, in Hidalgo.