Skip to content

Highlights from Mission City Council

Mission City Council discussed the event center, the Taylor Road expansion project, the Madero Bridge project and COVID guidelines at the Feb. 22 meeting.

The council approved a cost proposal from ZDE Architecture for lighting enhancements at the Mission Event Center. The focus for the lighting enhancements is on the Texas Citrus Fiesta, but Mayor Armando O’Caña said they will allow the city more opportunity to host bigger events of any kind.

The cost for the design is $14,000, plus $1,500 for project management to oversee the actual construction of the design. In the coming weeks, the city council, the TCF board and representatives from ZDF will meet to finalize the design proposal. Once the design is approved, the council will then go out for construction bids.


The council also approved Resolution 1718, which is relevant to the Taylor Road project. The plan is to expand Taylor Road into four lanes going in two directions, as well as a left-turn lane. Both sides of Taylor Road will also have sidewalks. With this resolution, the city adopts Texas Department of Transportation standards for the project.

“TxDOT is sponsoring us, I believe it’s 98 percent of the construction. And the city, it will only cost us 2 percent to build Taylor Road,” City Engineer JP Terrazas said. “That’s why we have to adopt their standards so we can procure for the construction of this project.”

The expansion is broken up into two phases. Phase 1 runs from the expressway to Business 83, and Phase 2 runs from Business 83 to Mile 2 Road. Phase 1 will start this summer and phase 2 will start in the summer of 2022. City Attorney Gus Martinez said Mission is in the last leg of the Right-of-Way acquisition for phase 1 and they have already started acquiring for phase 2.

According to Terrazas, plans for the project are 95 percent complete and already under TxDOT review. He said he should know in about a month if Mission can submit the remaining 5 percent.

Approval of the negotiated cost proposal of $3.3 million from S&B Infrastructure for the Madero Bridge project was tabled again, following an executive session. Councilperson Norie Gonzalez Garza said she would prefer to not have the item on the agenda until after the next Madero Bridge board meeting on March 8. The item will be discussed at a special city council meeting on March 9.


Leave a Comment