- The City of Edinburg’s 2021 FridaFest is back and takes place from 6 to 10 p.m. with food, live artists, vendors, beverages and games. The event is pet-friendly and features a live mural, dance performances, a Frida look-alike contest and more. It takes place at the Edinburg City Hall courtyard, 415 W. University Dr., Edinburg. For more information, go to edinburgarts.com or call 956-383-6246.
- The Pharr Community Theater presents the musical play “Bird Brains” at multiple locations. Performance dates, all in Pharr, are as follows: July 9-10, 8 p.m., indoors at the Pepe Salinas Auditorium, 1011 W. Kelly Ave., Pharr; and July 17, 3 and 7 p.m., indoors at the Development & Research Center, 850 W. Dicker Rd. All shows are free admission. No advance tickets needed. Donations for PCT will be accepted. COVID safety is encouraged. For more information or to book a tour of this show, visit the Pharr Community Theater’s Facebook page or text 956-655-9308.
- Bridge Church, 2820 N. Conway Ave. in Mission, will host Vacation Bible School with activities for groups from ages 5 to 12 and 13 to 18.The themed event, Legendary: Journey to the Hall of Fame, will include games, stories and crafts from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. A free breakfast, lunch and snack will be served throughout the day. For information or to register, call 956-227-7406.
- The International Museum of Art & Science presents an afternoon of music and learning on at 3 p.m. in the Cardenas Gallery. The performance is included with the $1 price of admission. In a special music tribute exploring the history of French music, Hannah Moreno, soprano, and Qize Liu, pianist, will be performing and speaking on French opera, the French song mélodies, and solo piano works by composers such as Ravel, Poulenc, Debussy, Gounod and others.
- Speer Memorial Library, 12th and Kika De La Garza in Mission, will host a book discussion on Around the World in 80 Days via Zoom at 5:30 p.m. in Spanish, and at 6:30 p.m. in English. A link for the virtual meeting will be sent to all who sign up. Free copies are available, while supplies last, to people who sign up for the discussion. For more information or to sign up, call 956-580-8754 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include a name and telephone number. The title is also available in English and Spanish as an e-Audiobook at https://ebook.yourcloudlibrary.com/library/HidalgoCountyLS.
- The International Museum of Art & Science presents their 42nd Collage Annual Gala. The black tie fundraiser will be held at the McAllen Convention Center from 6 to 11 p.m. with entertainment, dinner and valet parking. Tickets are $175 per person and $2000 for a table of eight. Sponsorships are available ranging from $1,000 to $25,000. Go to www.theimasonline.org for tickets and further information or call 956-681-2800.
- The 15th Annual Empty Bowls Luncheon and Silent Auction will take place from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Bert Ogden Arena in Edinburg. Local restaurants will provide tastings of their signature food offerings. It features music, silent auctions, and a drawing for a new Cartier watch or Louis Vuitton purse. One-of-a-kind ceramic bowls are included with each ticket. For more information or to sign up a business, contact Philip Farias, special events manager, at 956-904-4513 or by email at email@example.com.