- Speer Memorial Library, 12th and Kika De La Garza in Mission, will host a book discussion on Around the World in 80 Days via Zoom at 5:30 p.m. in Spanish, and at 6:30 p.m. in English. A link for the virtual meeting will be sent to all who sign up. Free copies are available, while supplies last, to people who sign up for the discussion. For more information or to sign up, call 956-580-8754 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include a name and telephone number. The title is also available in English and Spanish as an e-Audiobook at https://ebook.yourcloudlibrary.com/library/HidalgoCountyLS.
- The next Mission Historical Museum Movie on the Lawn will be held at the Mission Event Center, 200 N. Shary Rd. with the presentation of the iconic movie, “Grease.” Refreshments are available at the concession stand. Museum patrons should bring lawn chairs or blankets. Entrance is free. For more information, call 956-580-8646.
- A workshop, “Begin to Birdwatch,” will be offered at 2 p.m. in the McAllen Main Library’s Meeting Room A, 4001 N. 23rd St. Learn how to get started with John Brush, urban ecologist from Quinta Mazatlán. The Rio Grande Valley hosts one of the most spectacular convergences of birds on earth with almost 500 species documented in the region. The workshop is for ages 16 and up. Call 956-81-3000 for information. Register at https://mcallenlibrary.libnet.info/event/5268889.
- The City of Edinburg’s Annual National Night Out event, hosted by the Edinburg Police Department & Crime Stoppers, takes place at 6 p.m. at the Edinburg Municipal Park, 714 S. Raul Longoria Rd. The event includes a Car Show Diva, performance by The Dirty Birdies and a 5K run/walk. To register for the 5K, go to endurancesplits.webconnex.com/edinburgnationalnightout5Krun. The registration fee is $15 per person.
- Superstar vocal group Il Divo brings their “For Once in My Life Tour” to the McAllen Performing Arts Center at 8 p.m. Ticket prices start at $50 and up for VIP packages which include premium tickets, photo opps with Il Divo members, specially designed merchandise and more. Visit www.tickemaster.com for more information.
- The International Museum of Art & Science presents their 42nd Collage Annual Gala. The black tie fundraiser will be held at the McAllen Convention Center from 6 to 11 p.m. with entertainment, dinner and valet parking. Tickets are $175 per person and $2000 for a table of eight. Sponsorships are available ranging from $1,000 to $25,000. Go to www.theimasonline.org for tickets and further information or call 956-681-2800.
- The 15th Annual Empty Bowls Luncheon and Silent Auction will take place from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Bert Ogden Arena in Edinburg. Local restaurants will provide tastings of their signature food offerings. It features music, silent auctions, and a drawing for a new Cartier watch or Louis Vuitton purse. One-of-a-kind ceramic bowls are included with each ticket. For more information or to sign up a business, contact Philip Farias, special events manager, at 956-904-4513 or by email at email@example.com.
- Save the date and stay tuned for more information on the Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show’s First Annual RGLVS Fall Fest. There will be music, barbecue cookoff, food vendors, a carnival, mariachi competition, bull riding and more. It will be held on the RGVLS show grounds in Mercedes. Go to www.rgvls.com for more information.