- In conjunction with the Superhero Trail exhibit now open through August, the staff at Quinta Mazatlán will host KABOOM Comic Book Night with comic book booths from 3 to 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online at quintamazatlan.ticketleap.com. Dressing in a favorite super hero costume is encouraged. The quarter-mile walk along the trail features artistic representations of comic and movie superheroes along with real-life superheroes of today. For more information, call 956-681-3370. It is located at 600 Sunset in McAllen.
- A workshop, “Begin to Birdwatch,” will be offered at 2 p.m. in the McAllen Main Library’s Meeting Room A, 4001 N. 23rd St. Learn how to get started with John Brush, urban ecologist from Quinta Mazatlán. The Rio Grande Valley hosts one of the most spectacular convergences of birds on earth with almost 500 species documented in the region. The workshop is for ages 16 and up. Call 956-81-3000 for information. Register at https://mcallenlibrary.libnet.info/event/5268889.
July 31-Aug. 1
- A Children’s Fairy Festival will be held from 6 to 10 p.m. each night. Admission is free to this event celebrating a magical summer evening in the Edinburg World Birding Center enchanted gardens. It is an evening of building fairy and gnome homes, to dress up in whimsical costumes, and enjoy crafts, activities, scavenger hunts and more. Admission is free. There is a fee of $5 per fairy/gnome home material bundle (while supplies last). For more information, call 956-381-9922 or go to edinburgwbc.org. The EWBC is located at 714 Raul Longoria Rd.
- The City of Edinburg’s Annual National Night Out event, hosted by the Edinburg Police Department & Crime Stoppers, takes place at 6 p.m. at the Edinburg Municipal Park, 714 S. Raul Longoria Rd. The event includes a Car Show Diva, performance by The Dirty Birdies and a 5K run/walk. To register for the 5K, go to endurancesplits.webconnex.com/edinburgnationalnightout5Krun. The registration fee is $15 per person.
- Alejandro Milan with Contacto Animal returns to Quinta Mazatlán for an educational program. Beginning at 7 p.m., the show features lots of animals, music and audience participation. Admission is $3 per person and tickets can be purchased at quintamazatlan.ticketleap.com. Quinta Mazatlan World Birding Center is located at 600 Sunset in McAllen. For more information, contact Quinta Mazatlan at 956-681-3370.
- In conjunction with the Superhero Trail exhibit now open through August, the staff at Quinta Mazatlán will host a Super Saturday event with giveaways from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online at quintamazatlan.ticketleap.com. The quarter-mile walk along the trail features artistic representations of comic and movie superheroes along with real-life superheroes of today. For more information, call 956-681-3370. The nature center is located at 600 Sunset in McAllen.
- The 2021 Southern Exposure Youth Nature Photo Contest awards ceremony will be held at Quinta Mazatlán, 600 Sunset in McAllen, at 7 p.m. The contest features the photography of children ages 5 to 18 showing the beauty of nature in the Rio Grande Valley. For more information, call Quinta Mazatlán at 956-681-3370.
- Superstar vocal group Il Divo brings their “For Once in My Life Tour” to the McAllen Performing Arts Center at 8 p.m. Ticket prices start at $50 and up for VIP packages which include premium tickets, photo opps with Il Divo members, specially designed merchandise and more. Visit www.tickemaster.com for more information.
- The International Museum of Art & Science presents their 42nd Collage Annual Gala. The black tie fundraiser will be held at the McAllen Convention Center from 6 to 11 p.m. with entertainment, dinner and valet parking. Tickets are $175 per person and $2000 for a table of eight. Sponsorships are available ranging from $1,000 to $25,000. Go to www.theimasonline.org for tickets and further information or call 956-681-2800.
- The 15th Annual Empty Bowls Luncheon and Silent Auction will take place from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Bert Ogden Arena in Edinburg. Local restaurants will provide tastings of their signature food offerings. It features music, silent auctions, and a drawing for a new Cartier watch or Louis Vuitton purse. One-of-a-kind ceramic bowls are included with each ticket. For more information or to sign up a business, contact Philip Farias, special events manager, at 956-904-4513 or by email at email@example.com.
- Save the date and stay tuned for more information on the Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show’s First Annual RGLVS Fall Fest. There will be music, barbecue cookoff, food vendors, a carnival, mariachi competition, bull riding and more. It will be held on the RGVLS show grounds in Mercedes. Go to www.rgvls.com for more information.