- Center for Latin American Arts & School of Art and Design presents the Perennial’s 2023 Exhibition in an opening reception at 8 p.m. at the Rusteberg Gallery, 65 Gorgas Dr. in Brownsville. An artist talk will precede the reception at 6:30 p.m. The exhibit will be on display through April 21.
- The UTRGV School of Music presents the award-winning Mariachi Aztlán and Mariachi Juvenil Aztlán in a concert at 3 p.m. at the UTRGV Performing Arts Complex, 1201 W. University Dr. in Edinburg. Admssion is $5 with tickets available at utrgvarts.universitytickets.com.
- The fourth annual Edinburg MusicFest takes place at the Edinburg Promenade Park Amphitheater, 201 W. McIntyre, featuring local bands, carnival rides, folkloric and dance performances, food trucks, crafts, children’s activities, animal petting zoo/exhibits, and more. The Texas Folklife will host the annual Big Squeeze from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. for the annual accordion semifinals competition. The MusicFest concert follows from 6 to 11 p.m. and is free and open to the public but V.I.P. tables are available for purchase at edinburgarts.com/viptables. Entertainment lineup includes Frutty Villareal y Los Mavericks with their “Homenaje a Las Leyendas,” Jerry Alvarez & Danielle Ramirez, Grupo Solido, and headliner, Little Joe y la Familia. Interested vendors selling art, crafts, food, and other items can apply at edinburgarts.com/vendors or call 956-383-6246.
- The South Padre Island CVB will host the Texas Gulf Surfing Association’s (TGSA) Texas State Surfing Championshipat Isla Blanca Park. Heats will run all day, with alternative on-call dates set for April 22-23 and April 29-30. Open to the public and a family-friendly event to watch, anyone feeling inspired can sign up for a lesson to learn to surf. To learn more, go to urftgsa.org.
- The UTRGV Percussion Ensemble performs at 7 p.m. on April 17 at the UTRGV Performing Arts Complex, 1201 W. University Dr. in Edinburg and then on April 18 at 7 p.m. at the UTRGV BMSLC 1.217 on the Brownsville campus. For more information, go to utrgv.edu/arts.
- UTRGV New Music Ensemble will perform at 7 p.m. at the UTRGV BMSLC 1.217 on the campus in Brownsville, followed by a performance on April 20 at 7 p.m. at the UTRGV Performing Arts Complex, 1201 W. University Dr. in Edinburg. For more information, go to utrgv.edu/arts.
- Friends of Quinta Mazatlánwill hostMoon over Mazatlan, “Noche De Flamenco,” at the Quinta Mazatlán World Birding Center, 600 Sunset, McAllen. The evening features Susys Dance “Sachenka and the Soul Healers,” Flamenco & Paella Night, Spanish guitarist Mario Aleman, UTRGV Ballet Español Dance, Ache de Barrio Latin Dance Band, the Legacy Award Program and more. For tickets and information, call at Quinta Mazatlán at 956-681-3370.
- Asiya Korepanova returns to the Valley Symphony Orchestra for Grieg’s Piano Concerto, along with the American masterpiece and Bernstein’s Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. Individual and season tickets can be purchased in person at the MPAC box office, online at valleyorchestra.org, ticketmaster.com, or by calling the office at 956-661-1615. Educators (K-12 and higher education) with a valid school I.D. can purchase up to two tickets to VSO concerts for $20 each plus box office fees. Educators must show their ID at the box office to purchase tickets. Seating is at the discretion of box office and pending availability.
- A performance by the UTRGV Guitar Ensemble begins at 7 p.m. at the UTRGV Performing Arts Complex, 1201 W. University Dr. in Edinburg. For more information, go to utrgv.edu/arts.
- The Dia de la Guitarra Showcase will begin at 7 p.m. at the UTRGV Performing Arts Complex, 1201 W. University Dr. in Edinburg. For more information, go to utrgv.edu/arts.
- Somewhere: A Primer for the End of Days by Marisela Treviño Orta brings the UTRGV Theatre 2022-23 season to an end.Follow the drama of Cassandra and her brother on a journey, both “bittersweet and magical,” as they make a road trip to the final destination of Monarch butterflies. Show times are 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets range from $5 to $15. Shows start promptly at the time stated; no late entry will be allowed until intermission. For tickets, go to utrgv.edu/theatre. For information, call 956-665-3581 or email the Theatre Box Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jeremy Wilson presents “Songs and Stories” at 7 p.m. at the TSC Performing Arts, 90 Taylor Ave. in Brownsville. Admission is $10 for the general public and $5 for children. For more information, go to utrgv.edu/arts.
Rep. Monica De La Cruz has announced this date as the deadline to submit works for the Congressional Art Competition for high school students from the 15th Congressional District of Texas. The over-all winner of our district’s competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will also include artwork from other contest winners nationwide.For more information, go to DeLaCruz.house.gov.
- The South Padre Island Jailbreak Beach Escape will be a two-day event at Clayton’s Beach Bar and Grill. The one-of-a-kind obstacle course race challenges participants to climb over walls, crawl through sand, navigate tire climbs and more. The registration fee is $50 per person or $180 for a group of four. To learn more or register, visit the event’s website at runthejailbreak.com or contact the event organizers at email@example.com. For more information on South Padre Island, visit sopadre.com.