Skip to content

Custodial death under investigation

An attorney is seeking answers after his client died two days after being in the custody of the Alton Police Department. Carlos A. García of The Law Office of Carlos A. García held a press conference at his office last Friday afternoon concerning the incident.

“There was a tragic loss of life this week,” said attorney Garcia to a room full of press.

He stood beside two photos of Jesse — one of him an hour before being taken into custody, washing his vehicle, and the other of him bloodied and bruised in the face, connected to oxygen at the ICU on Tuesday.

“No one deserves to have their life end like this,” the attorney said.

Garcia’s client was a truck driver with no prior medical conditions and was a ‘healthy 40-year-old man’ according to his attorney. He, however, had previous charges for DWI and possession of a controlled substance.

Mr. Garcia provided a timeline of events that occurred from the day of Jesse’s arrest to the time of his death, a time gap marked with a question mark between his time of custody and his transfer to the ICU.

The timeline starts Sunday, August 27, at 6 p.m.; Jesse was washing his vehicle at his family home before getting into an accident. The photo provided as evidence showed that the vehicle received damage to the front left side tire. The incident occurred on North Bryan Road in Alton, Texas. Jesse’s family called the police, where he then fled on foot. Police took him into custody at 7 p.m.

At 1:30 a.m. the following day, Jesse was transported to the McAllen Medical Center ICU and placed on life support. He was admitted with a hematoma and bruising to the right side of his head. An investigator with the Alton Police Department then notified Jesse’s family of his critical condition.

Jesus ‘Jesse’ Garcia after his arrest at the McAllen Medical Center ICU on Tuesday, August 29, 2023. Photo courtesy of the Garcia Law Firm.

Tuesday morning, Jesse was pronounced dead, his organs having failed.

Family members tried to record the Sunday confrontation, but police told them they would be under arrest if they did.

According to Mr. Garcia, a CLEAT (Combined Law Enforcement Association of Texas) attorney representing an officer with the Alton PD denied any form of questioning or interview from his firm.

“We’ve hit a roadblock,” said Carlos. “The family demands answers to this.”

An investigator with the Texas Rangers confirmed that they are investigating on Jesse’s death which may take up to two weeks. Arrest records and bodycam footage are yet to be released.

Alton Police Chief Mark Perez said that the police department cannot give out a statement at this time but seeks to give transparency of the incident through the independent investigation with DPS.

“We can’t say much,” he said. “It’s an ongoing investigation.”

Jesse leaves behind a wife and four sons as the investigation continues.

If anyone has information, they are urged to contact Carlos A. García at (956)-584-1448 or by email at

Leave a Comment