Skip to content

Villarreal defeats Flores in Precinct 3 primary

Joe Flores’ fifth term as Hidalgo County Precinct 3 commissioner will be his last after voters elected his opponent Everardo “Ever” Villarreal to run for commissioner in the Tuesday Democratic primary.

With no Republican challengers, Villarreal placement as precinct commissioner is assured.

Hidalgo County Precinct 3 Commissioner Candidate Everardo Villarreal

Villarreal narrowly beat his opponent with 83 votes, or 10,025 compared to Flores’ 9,942 votes.

The first round of unofficial results showed Flores in a narrow lead of 7,693 votes against Villarreal’s 7,449 votes.

“The people have spoken and there will be a new commissioner,” Villarreal said after the results. “It feels great to have pulled it off, it was just an exciting process and the level of support from my supporters kept me working harder and harder. Flores ran a tight race but so did I.”

Flores simply said he does not plan to contest the election.

The results, which were announced late Tuesday night, reflect the close race in what has become one of the most expensive campaigns in Hidalgo County.

A campaign finance report submitted last month to the county showed that Villarreal loaned himself $420,000, spent a little over $31,000 and received $21,000 in contributions during the month of January.

Flores spent $32,000 and received nearly double that in contributions in the same period.

A second campaign finance report filed late last month showed he spent an additional $163,000 on his campaign in the days leading up to early voting.

Villarreal said the expensive campaign paid off.

“I don’t come from a political family so I don’t have a name recognition and needed to put my name out there, especially against an incumbent who has been there for 20 years,” Villarreal said. “I also had direct contact with voters and citizens where I attended every event I could to get to know people and block walked as much as I could all over the county. When word got out about that it felt like people believed in me and I won their trust.”

In previous reports, Flores has touted his support from all the cities in his precinct and millions of dollars in infrastructure, road and drainage improvements he has invested into his community.

Flores’ support was evident at his campaign watch party held at Buchannan’s Music Hall in Palmview and officials from the cities of Palmview, Alton, La Joya and Peñitas watched the results with him.

Villarreal has said he is running to help modernize Precinct 3.

“I plan to meet up with all the mayors in my area as soon as possible to discuss with them their needs and how I can help,” Villarreal said. “When a city does well it trickles down and affects the rest of the county, especially in areas in dire needs of more jobs and growth.”

13 Comments

1. Upset Mom on March 4, 2020 at 9:47 am

Sorry, I did not vote for Mr. Villarreal. He lost my respect when one evening he and his crew came by to put up one of his political signs in front of my house. Sad to say, with Mr. Villarreal sitting inside his truck while his crew torn down the store purchased Christmas decorations my kids had placed on the fence in front of our house. I am disabled and in a wheel chair therefore, I had paid someone to help the kids in putting up the decorations. Mr. Villarreal’s crew torn down the decorations and started posting Mr. Villarreal’s sign on the fence. Then to find some of the Christmas decorations which had been removed and damaged were in the back of Mr. Villarreal’s truck. I went outside to see what was happening and demanded the political sign be removed. No Apologies – No compensation for the damaged decorations.

• Dina Guerrero on March 31, 2020 at 3:48 pm

I’d report him and file a complaint.

2. Nilda Martinez on March 4, 2020 at 2:52 pm

IF I WERE ABLE TO VOTE FOR OUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE I WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR VILLAREAL, BUT SINCE I’M A (R) I’M DON’T HAVE A VOICE UNLESS I’M A (D) AND THAT’S PATHETIC!!! OR IF A (R) IS RUNNING AGAINST J.FLORES NOT A BALANCE CAMPAIGN HERE IN THE BLUE VALLEY!!! ALOT OF (R) WOULD HAVE VOTED FOR VILLAREAL IF WE HAD A VOICE!!!

• Vote Democrat on March 5, 2020 at 7:57 pm

Hey Nilda!

Have you ever considered voting in the democratic primary? Make your vote count!

3. Finally on March 4, 2020 at 5:03 pm

So glad Flores lost, time for some change. If you look at his accomplishments over the last 14 years (they can be viewed in the Hidalgo County website) he really hasn’t done much for 14 years of service. I’m sure he lined his pockets well with our money though.

4. Happy voter on March 5, 2020 at 1:50 pm

It’s a wonderful accomplishment to see someone new come into the commissioner’s position here in our precinct.

I am certain that though there was much negativity campaigned against Mr. Ever Villarreal by his opponent, Mr. Ever will demonstrate and remind us all what good, strong leadership truly is.

Unfortunately, Marco De Luna, Abraham Padron, Abiel Flores and Miguel Flores didn’t win their candidacy and we are all at a loss because of it.

Best wishes to our new commissioner.

5. Never Ever on March 5, 2020 at 6:23 pm

Ever’s campaign was financed by a drug dealer from Diaz Ordaz, everyone who truly knows him is aware. He just wants to be a politician to help that cartel cross over the drugs. He has no experience whatsoever how to run a precinct. Who lost those mailin ballots, he spent tons of money paying upto $250 per vote and I an sure he also paid someone to lose those ballots. He already started defrauding the citizens and he hasnt yet set foot in office. Most of the people that voted got paid!!! People are afraid to come foreward because they will get in trouble.

• Butthurt report on March 6, 2020 at 8:57 am

Someone is butthurt!!!!

• Veronica Garza on March 7, 2020 at 5:19 pm

EVER was born in MEXICO !!!

6. Historic Win on March 6, 2020 at 3:09 pm

What an amazing race.
    Mr. Villarreal deserved to win not because he was better than Mr. Flores but because he put in the work from block walking to meeting with constituents and hearing their needs and concerns he reconnected with the community. It did not matter how many city Mayors or cities showed their support with huge banners in support of Mr. Flores. The community was ready for a much needed change. Precinct 3 is ready for a new Commissioner. Congratulations Mr. Villarreal.

7. John Horn on March 7, 2020 at 6:17 am

This is the valley. And that’s what commissioners do around here. Con el dinero baila el perro. Perros…..

8. Rosa De Leon on March 7, 2020 at 11:23 am

1st and foremost: I live in Hidalgo County and am concerned for your safety. What you just insinuated is serious accusations. What you should have done prior to posting your message was have gone to the FBI and reported your suspicions, not slander someone without proof. I see you favored Mr. Joe Flores. You don’t think Starr County needed a change after 14 years Mr. Flores served his community?

9. Milo Estrada on March 10, 2020 at 12:38 pm

I’m do happy Joe Flores lost. Joe Flores has oil and more. Joe Flores had supported to raise property taxes. People voted against the hike but the County Commissioners found another way to raise taxes and denied it. Good Riddance!!!!!